Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Owie.

It was going so good.  Too good.


Running and feeling good!

even “bragged’ to my husband just last night how my sciatic nerve hadn’t given me any issues since I starting training and racing in my Newton Distance shoes.  I also dealt with hip bursitis last year and hadn’t felt a twinge of pain in months.   

I ran in some “old” traditional running shoes to the beach on Monday for a barefoot beach run.  I didn’t want to get my Newtons sandy so slipped on my Sauconys and was surprised at how heavy they felt which is what led to the conversation regarding how remarkably injury free I’ve been since last spring. 

Hit 200 miles for the month yesterday after a hard Yasso workout.  No twinges. No aches.  Set the alarm for 4:30am this morning for a 20 mile run before work.  It was dark, the air was cool, I was running with my husband and running partner (yes I know I am a LUCKY girl), and all was right with the world.  I was chatting (typical) and then it hit me out of nowhere. 

My calf totally seized up.  Stopped me dead in my tracks. Stretched it out on a nearby fence and the pain wouldn’t go away.  But I’m stubborn.  Just a little.  And a Type A. A lot type A. So  I started “running" again as we had 20 miles on the schedule, but it was more of a hobble.  I was sure it would just go away. 


The long walk towards home.

It didn’t.  (11 hours later it still hasn’t gone away)

Steve convinced me that it was time to walk home.  He was even quite the gentleman and offered to run home and get his car to pick me up.  I was a bit offended.  I’ve never needed a ride home. Ever. I could make it home.  So I walked.  And it hurt so bad that I figured why not run home and make the pain go away quicker?  So I ran.  And I couldn’t.  I sent Steve on his way to go pick up the car and drive me home. 

I’m not sure if I had tears streaming down my face or if it looked like I wanted to kill someone when the car pulled up.  He just held my hand.  Told me I would be ok. 

I don’t want to “rest”.  My body obviously does.  Sure it is just a muscle strain.  Yet I have read enough blogs and seen through my “IG” Ohana that if it’s not better tomorrow, will have it checked out and make sure it’s not a tear. 

It’s tough to accept that today my body won over my mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment