Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Inbox


My favorite picture from the shoot.  

"Hi Malia.  This is Julia from Lululemon at Ala Moana.  Rosalyn has connected me to you as a runner.  We do photo shoots for the product notification emails and Facebook, and I would like to ask you if you would be interested in being a model.....".

Jumped up and down and screeched! Didn't read the rest of the email as I ran around the house in giddy excitement while the 3 boys (hubby/sons) looked at me with joy like I was crazy. I suppose I did not act my age.  Then again, do I ever "act my age"? Although I became a tester in January (Here), I never dreamed Lulu would want to photograph me running!!!



Morning of the Shoot.  Fairly Certain this is what I looked like running around the house after opening up my email!

Managed to pull the important details out of the email so I knew where to show up with my running shoes on.  Super excited they wanted to do a morning photo shoot at Magic Island, despite having to drive from Kailua to town on a weekday.  Most people do it 5 days a week (TRAFFIC!), yet my normal morning commute takes about 10 minutes.   


Since I’ve spent a ton of time on shoots in the role of “stage mom” for my "super model" 16 year old son, I know that reality is not necessarily what retailers are looking to portray.  Lulu's uniqueness is they do depict real life woman who probably won't grace the pages of a Victoria’s Secret catalog.  Yet I DID inquire if I should wear my hair in my runner bun or wear it down so my curls would bounce while I ran.  (I would NEVER EVER run with my hair down!  As mentioned in previous posts, I don’t like too many things touching me, while running, and I have very thick curly hair that would not only end up in knots but surely it would cause me to have a heat stroke. Has anyone won a distance race with their hair down?  Really, I want to know!)  Yet flowing hair looks really pretty in print.  Lulu wanted me to show up looking like “me” when I run. :) Certain shoe company: take note! 


I ran a quick 5 miler before showering and getting ready for the early morning shoot.  I did put some make up on as I am 29+++ and a little mascara goes a very long way.  Thankfully I zipped through traffic and made it to Magic Island with 10 minutes to spare.  Met up with the photographer who was the sweetest 29--- I have met in a long time.  She had a big red Lulu bag filled with goodies. 

When I paced Lavy (Here) in the H.U.R.T. 100 in January she wore some awesome white/black polka dot Speed Shorts.  Other runners called her “Polka Dots”.  Katie brought me some navy blue polka dot Groovy Run Shorts and with a white tank it is super cute.   She also brought me a pullover in yellow to wear over the short, which is perfect while waiting around for the Award's Ceremony. I’m always freezing after a long race. 

She had me run in 3 different locations around Magic Island.  She was trying to capture Diamond Head in the distance but the sun was hiding behind the clouds.  All I had to do was run. It was really difficult. Not. We did shots over and over and over again, at times running slow so she could capture me mid-stride.  Magic Island is fairly crowded with runners/walkers/bikers, yet only a few of them attempted to get join in on the fun by jumping in front of the camera!  We moved toward the lagoon, which had the best sun, and then by the channel with the Yacht Club in the background.









It really was super fun! I am so tickled that a huge fitness presence liked Lululemon asked ME...Mom to 3 kids. Full time job. Cancer survivor. Multiple scar bearer. I know it’s shocking but I’m really not in my 20’s. Or 30's!...to help them showcase their newest running line.  I’m in no way model material. They chose me because of what I’ve accomplished running. It’s a huge compliment and reinforcement that there are No barriers.  No excuses. Go after what you want. Treat people kindly. Set an example. And there are people/companies that will recognize you for your hard work and accomplishments...not because you were born with a pretty face and a speedy metabolism.  And I scored some super cute clothes!





No comments:

Post a Comment