Sunday, February 24, 2013

Runner and Fashion Whore.



I saw a "warning" to all athletes running The Disney Princess Half Marathon today:

"HEAT ADVISORY: Temperatures this weekend are expected to reach the low-80's by mid-day. To help prepare for the heat, please read a special message from our Medical and Race Director at http://bit.ly/15DAi7a."

Since Hawaii is my running playground, , I spit out my coffee when I read this. 80's. Heat?  This is what I run in. Every. Single. Day. Add the humidity of Hawai'i, Diamond Head, the wind going out to Hawaii Kai, and that pretty much sums up why The Honolulu Marathon is one of the most difficult marathons. 



New Year's Resolution Ultra Run. Skirt. Minimal clothing. 


This morning on the Napa Valley Marathon page I read this:

"Despite being in Late Winter, the NVM enjoys some of the BEST running weather in the Nation for any Marathon at ANYTIME of year and this year is NO exception. March 3rd will dawn cool and clear. Starting temperature in the mid to upper 30's,warming rapidly to the low 50's for three hour runners and near 60 for the 4 hour finishers. There will be a light North wind at your back. See you there! Meteorologist Mike Pechner."

Cold and Wet. Napa 2012.







BRRRR! "BEST" running weather?!? So what is a girl to wear when I have major issues with fabric covering my shoulders, ears, and hands, and do not have running tights? And I hate to be hot. 

So this is my tentative plan: Visor(even though it will not provide warmth, the thought of a beanie or headband covering my ears is enough to make my nose twitch), Lulu tank top with Brooks Race Day Armwarmers (I can roll them down or take them off if I get warm), Lululemon Run Speed Short (I ALWAYS run in a skirt, but these shorts totally rock!), HOT PINK compression socks (if I want to keep my legs warm, might as well wear compressions as they may help my calf strain), and the most STRESSFUL decision: Mizuno's or Newtons?????  


Preferred racing attire. (Pic courtesy of ALL SPORTS)


Haven't worn non-minimalist shoes since the fall. Saucony's are shot.  My chiropractor thinks heel protection will help with my calf issue.   The Mizuons haven't seen more than 8 miles in AGES.


August.  Wearing Sauconys in the Ozarks.

All these decisions can make a girl a little stressed. 

Add a rib injury, or possible gallstones and I have no fricken clue what next Sunday will bring???????!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the plan: Set the pace at 7:45's.  The ribs seems to be able to handle that.  If I run that the entire race, I'll finish in 3:15:9.  GOAL WAS to break 3:15 before my body defied me and broke.  Yet I still think it's do-able and if I have any gas in the tank, can pick up the pace the last few miles for a PR.  

Good news: Wine tasting in comfy jeans and jackets are on schedule for the days AFTER the race.  

Lululemon, Newtons, Saucony, Marathon, SweatPinkAmbassador







No comments:

Post a Comment