Saturday, April 26, 2014

Boston Marathon Recap

I've had a few days to reflect and feel the emotions of Boston. First off, it was a fun trip to the East Coast where we got to spend time with Steve's family as well as meet some Instagram friends that we've been following for awhile. The whole "IG" friendship is a little crazy, but some of my strongest supporters are through social media. Meeting a few of them, and getting to run, was one of the highlights of the entire trip. They were EXACTLY what I expected (actually, BETTER!)and you can never have too many "real live people" in your life who don't think your running habit is excessive/dangerous/crazy/whatever.

#F3 Meet Up

In preparation for the race, I carb loaded on Saturday, and ate easily digested food on Sunday. The morning of the race was a cup of coffee and half a banana. My stomach issues have jacked up my digestive tract so really didn't want any solid food in me that morning, but due to a 10:25 start, knew I would have no energy if I walked out the door with just coffee. I drank minimal water as well that morning in the hopes that I would remain pain free.

The race itself was like nothing I have EVER experienced. You are never alone or in a spot where it is easy to maneuver around people. For 26.2 miles you're dodging runners. Except for a short stint by a lake, the course was filled with people cheering...there were a MILLION spectators!!! People are handing out water, beer, Nunn, otter pops, and the signs were both encouraging and hilarious. I thought the Blackhawk helicopters, police and National Guard's very obvious presence would take away from the crowds, but they didn't. At All. Actually seeing a Blackhawk over head may have had me chanting "'Merica".

We started the race running 7:15's-7:25's which felt SUPER EASY yet after a few miles I consciously slowed it down so I wouldn't bonk. We stayed at a 7:30-7:45 pace and I was really having the. best. time. ever.


Around mile 10 I could feel twinges in my upper abdomen. The pain is similar to a side stitch yet it radiates throughout my entire upper abdomen and I cannot take a deep breath. I slowed it down a little, said a very unladylike word to myself, and kept moving forward. Reached the halfway point in 1:42 which is a decent half marathon, and still had hope of keeping the sub 3:30 marathon tradition going. Then it got bad. Childbirth pain didn't compare to what I was feeling. I was also dizzy, which I'm sure was a combination of not being able to take deep breaths nor process any fluid or chomps. I started a walking/running combo with Steve right beside me.

Steve encouraging me to use "Lamaze" style breathing during the excruciating pain.

The second half took me 2:10. That's how much walking I did. The crowds never stopped cheering for me, even when I was hunched over. I actually laughed at the sorority girls and their "KISS ME" signs, and I was in heaps of pain passing them. The buildings were beautiful, the crowds a few people deep, and I even asked a cop if I could get a piggyback to the finish line. I don't "see" those things during a pain free race as I'm focused on the finish line.

Cruising along.

I heard angels singing at the CITGO sign knowing I only had a mile left. The crowds going to the finish were thanking us runners for being there. This is when I got very emotional. They were the ones who should be thanked for showing up at the same finish line and cheering us on. I also couldn't believe that I had finished. There was a medical tent at every mile after some point and when I passed a couple, I seriously considered paying them a visit. But I didn't want to quit. And knew I had all day to get to the finish. I wanted to cross that finish line.

Crossing that finish line with Steve felt better than the first time I BQ'd. Having gone through so much physical pain and finishing felt better than finishing after a great race. I lasted about 5 minutes before my stomach muscles loosened up and up went all the water I tried to drink as well as chomps. Lovely.


I wasn't able to eat for a few hours due to pain and all I could think of was how happy I was that surgery was scheduled for May 6th. My time didn't matter. My husband staying step by step beside me mattered.

I won't lie. Today my time is important and there is disappointment and anger that the pain got a hold of me. All I can do is know that on Monday, I left everything I could on the course and pray that surgery brings relief so I can finally run again pain free.

I'm looking forward to going back to Boston one day, and actually racing. I know I have it in my legs...and my heart.





2 comments:

  1. I took a shot to see if you've published anything in a while hawaiian. I'm blessed that I stumbled across to see this post. I know its been a while since BQ, but you had dis bruddah almost tearing up...almost. I don't follow a lot of runners back home, even though I know there's a lot of running going on over there. Since following you and your family, I've been a little homesick...even at 40. I've just started my running journey even though I ran track in high school (went to damien) and 2 years in college before starting a family. But all I did was sprints. I'm thankful that I found you guys as you bring hawaii to me up here in AZ. I am desperately trying to come back home to run Honolulu this year. I've been on track and running at least 1, sometimes 2 half mary's a month this year. And by the time honolulu comes around, I'll have run 3 fulls. I'm hoping to meet you guys one day. You guys inspire me... Malama pono 'e. You guys are no ka oi! Stay blessed to you and your ohana Malia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a SUPER busy schedule this year...so awesome! Social media is an amazing thing and I'm happy we can share a little aloha with you. I know you were tearing up, so you could taste salt water. :) Praying you are able to fly out for Honolulu and we will def meet up.

      Delete